Friday, January 16, 2009

After laving Cape Town we spent a few days in Simmons Town which is sandwiched between the ocean and a mountain range. So, I took Jill out for a day hiking. We started out well enough wandering on sidewalks up the mountain and then on a small foot path after the sidewalks ended.


We came across a series of cable car towers that had long since fallen out of use. There was, however, a small foot path leading by these towers that lead clear to the top of the mountain. So, I convinced Jill to summit the mountain which looked like a bout a 2 hour climb. After about an hour into the climb we were towering above Simmons Town on a near vertical path of loose rock all among prickly cactuses and long drops.






















When Jill thought we absolutely had to turn around I first scouted ahead for five minutes and found a grand stone stair case intersecting our scrubby trail. Once Jill and I got onto the staircase we quickly made it to the top of the mountain and back down safely!























Other activities in Simons Town:
Playing with penguins.
























Sliding down railings.






And enjoying the Beach.

'Till next time,
--Andrej

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Be careful! Vertical paths, loose rocks, prickly cacti and long drops??
The penguin colony looked safe anyway. So cute!

Barb S said...

Hi Jill...I decided to follow along with you on your adventure after your mom showed me the website and what you are doing....I love the view from the mountain...the penguins too! Enjoy....

Anonymous said...

PENGUINS! They are super cute. I'm more than a little jealous.

Jill - I saw Reggie out and about the other day and thought of you.